Tuesday 24 March 2015

To be The Crow for a day

  Since I left secondary school I've always been a devoted fan of The Crow. What started out as simple love for the film evolved when I first read the graphic novel, that the 1994 classic was adapted from. Simply put The Crow was piece of both artistic and philosophical genius created by the under appreciated author and artist James O'Barr. 

  The comic book was not only inspirational but life changing for me, it helped me understand story telling on a whole new level. The 1994 movie The Crow starring Brandon Lee gave me a whole new appreciation for film and TV.

  For the past three years I've attended the legendary gathering nerds known as Comic Con. For the most recent event I cosplayed Eric Draven, donning the infamous black and white paint of tragedy and black leather with help from my family.

  Putting the outfit together was no easy task, trying to find a way to transform my dirty blonde hair to pitch black was the toughest obstacle, but black hair spray sorted that out quickly enough. 

    I had to order the leather trousers from China, about four reels of black electric tape was used to create the infamous black bandages seen both the comic and film, the face paint was simple pound shop face paint and eye liner and donated leather trench coat to complete the ensemble. 

  Of course I received dirty looks from people who didn't understand but it didn't matter because I was able to walk amongst hundreds of people in a huge hall that knew who I was (so screw 'em). 

  The awesome pictures you see above were taken and made to be badass by Andrew Bonnell (that surname is kind of familiar).

No comments:

Post a Comment